Welcome to campus and to the Colby College Libraries! We look forward to meeting new students and faculty in person this fall.
Follow us on Instagram at #22colbylibrariesorientation for a series of posts with information about the Libraries, our services, and collections. If you don’t have Instagram, you can explore all of the library orientation Instagram posts below.
For a quick overview, check out Five Key Facts about the Colby Libraries.
Five Key Facts About the Colby Libraries
- Colby has two libraries. Bixler (Arts and Music), and Miller (Humanities, Sciences, and Social Sciences). We also have a beautiful Special Collections and Archives space in Miller Library.
- The Libraries’ website is your portal to finding general information about the Libraries and exploring and locating resources for your research. You’ll find research guides by subject, or by course, and general guides to conducting research and using research-related tools and resources. There are also pages for students and for faculty that list relevant services and resources.
- There are lots of friendly, knowledgeable professionals in the Libraries. Reach out to a library subject specialist for research help • Stop by the service desk in any branch to ask a general question or check out materials • Use our Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service to request items from other libraries.
- We have a wide variety of spaces to meet and study. Offering the largest number of spaces, Miller Library has a quiet Reading Room and individual study carrels as well as large, open, collaborative spaces and group study rooms, in Bixler Art and Music Library, you’ll find a relaxing atmosphere, along with a media lab for access to design and music programs. Public computers, printers, and copiers are available in each library.
- We provide access to an incredible number and variety of materials in the physical Libraries and even more online. In addition to print and online books and journals, we also offer films, music and music scores, audiobooks, and much more. You can search for specific titles or discover new information and resources via the search box on our home page. If we don’t have what you need, we borrow (and lend) materials with libraries worldwide. You’ll need your Colby Card to check out materials and your Colby username and password to access our online resources. You’ll also find rare and unique print materials and artifacts in our Special Collections and Archives. Check out Digital Commons for digitized versions of many of those same unique collections, as well as examples of Colby scholarship and many College publications.