The Colby Libraries operate a portion of the Colby Storage Facility, located on Washington street, approximately 3/4 of a mile from Miller library. Within the library, the Collections Management group oversees the maintenance and delivery of retrievable items as well as ensures the safety of a variety of archival materials that require special handling and storage. Books, bound periodicals, microfilm, and maps are retrieved three times a day, seven days a week during the academic year. The facility is closed on federal and College holidays; we are open 8-4 during the summer months.
Email: [email protected]
Storage Facility Visit Request Form
To make an appointment, fill out the request form below.
- The collection is in Library of Congress (LC) order, so browsing is possible (see image in slideshow).
- We offer modest accommodations in our office area, which is shared with library staff, but do not have a room dedicated to scholars (see images in slideshow).
- We encourage patrons who need that to utilize our delivery service in order to continue their research.
We are more than happy to deliver to students’ home library or to faculty offices.
Hours of Operation
|Academic Year||Summer/Semester breaks|
|8:00 am to 5:00 pm||8:00 am to 4:00 pm||
|9:00 am to 5:00 pm||closed|
Please let us know if you need accommodations. Always call 207.873.0028 before coming, unless an appointment has been set up via email. We will email an acknowledgement when we receive the request form.
Storage Building Information
Storage lighting is entirely motion controlled, in an effort to conserve energy.
The storage area has complete temperature and humidity control and is monitored automatically by PPD:
- The temperature is currently being controlled to 68 degrees with 45% relative humidity.
- The system consists of 4 separate heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) units on the roof over the storage space. The units are under a single control, and provide redundancy in the event something happens to one of the units.
- The control system reports back to the Physical Plant with any alarms.
- All piping that runs in the space near the ceiling has secondary containment piping, to prevent water from dripping on the collection in the event of a leak.
The building is a steel frame structure with insulated metal panels as the exterior wall system. The wall panels have 4” of foam insulation, with 6” of foam insulation on the roof. This provides for a tight, energy efficient structure. In the event of a power failure, the interior conditions would remain in a safe range for several days, even during extreme weather conditions.
Safety / Security:
Entrance to the facility is controlled by card access, and monitored by security. On the exterior of the building, near the main entrance is a blue phone that is a direct line to the security office. The entire facility is protected by a sprinkler system with a diesel powered fire pump and underground water storage.